Old Dominion University
The MFA Creative Writing Program & Barely South Review
are pleased to announce
The 2014 Norton Girault Literary Prize in Creative Nonfiction
The Norton Girault Literary Prize, which alternates genres on a yearly basis, will be offered in 2014 for CREATIVE NONFICTION. Entries can be of any form of nonfiction (memoir, essay, reportage) up to 25 pages (double-spaced, 12 point font, one-inch margins all around). The Entry Fee is $15. Multiple entries can be submitted individually, with a $15 entry fee for each. Prizes are as follows:
1st Prize: $500 and publication in Barely South Review
2nd Prize: $250 and publication in Barely South Review
3rd Prize: $100 and publication in Barely South Review
The Norton Girault Literary Prize is named after Norton Girault
And we are delighted to announce the
Judge for the 2014 Norton Girault Literary Prize in Nonfiction:
Claire Dederer is the author of the bestselling memoir Poser: My Life in Twenty-Three Yoga Poses, which has been translated into 13 languages. She has written essays, criticism, and reported pieces for the New York Times, Vogue, New York magazine, The Nation, Slate, Salon, and many others. Her personal essays have appeared in numerous anthologies, including Labor Day, forthcoming in 2014 from Farrar Strauss and Giroux. She lives on an island near Seattle with her family.
COMPETITION RULES AND REQUIREMENTS
- Entries must be sent electronically through Submittable (go to https://barelysouth.submittable.com/submit and look for “Norton Girault Prize” under the categories)
- This international prize competition is open to all writers who write in English, except MFA Creative Writing students at Old Dominion University. No translated works will be accepted.
- All submissions must be original and previously unpublished (print, blog, or web publications included).
- Format and Manuscript Length: A clean, typewritten or computer-processed (12 point font, double-spaced, one-inch margins all around) copy of the entry must be submitted.
- Entry must be paginated, and have one (1) title page (see bullet below) with no identifying author information on the manuscript pages. Each entry must not exceed 25 pages in length.
- Entrants may submit more than one piece to the competition, as long as an entry fee of $15 accompanies each individual submission.
- Reading fee: $15.00 US dollars
- Electronic Submission deadline: 21 March 2014; results announced around the end of April 2014.
- In the event that the judge does not deem any submissions worthy of the prize, Barely South Review reserves the right to extend the call for manuscripts or to cancel the award in a given year.